In this role, you will be responsible for establishing, maintaining, and evaluating small plot efficacy field trials in the Saskatoon area for the purpose of delivering quality research data for our valued Clients. You will join the research team at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and start making your contribution to finding solutions for Canadian farmers.
As a Research Associate you will be able to:
- Employ science research methodology and statistical analysis
- Work outdoors
- Take on responsibility for a program of trials as part of an experienced team
- Grow personally and professionally
- Expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career in agricultural research
- Receive support in your scientific and skill development
- Primarily responsible for conducting multiple field variety and efficacy trials at various locations near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
- Conduct field trials outdoors, operate small plot equipment including tractors, plot drills, sprayers, mowers and harvesters, loading and securing equipment on trailers, as well as driving trucks and trailers.
- Management and agronomy of project, seeding to harvesting activities, as per research protocols including locating suitable trial sites, operating plot equipment, planting and maintaining trials, maintenance pesticide applications, assessments and harvesting trials.
- Supervise summer research technicians that are assisting with field trials during the research season.
- Data analysis and summary, writing and submitting trial reports to clients.
- Participate in annual SOP review and ongoing training.
- B.Sc. or Diploma in Ag or B.Sc. in other areas, Ag background is preferred
- Must have a Valid Class 5 Driver’s license or higher class
- Must have Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency status
- Experience with field research trials, trial design, and crop production practices is an asset
- Previous experience in agriculture and/or agricultural field trials is a strong asset.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ask questions to clarify and understand and follow protocols, procedures, situations
- Problem solving and critical thinking
- Strong English written and verbal communication with project coordinators, clients, and support staff
- Able to work both independently and in a team environment
- Able and willing to learn new skills
- Strong organizational skills and time management
- Ability to operate field research equipment is an asset
Extended work hours will be required during peak seasons which is consistent with the agricultural industry. The winter season will be dedicated to training, facility, and equipment maintenance, and assisting with other programs or projects to contribute to the overall success of the company. Some travel may be required.
Depending on the skill level of the successful applicant, a field season of apprenticeship under an experienced Researcher may be required before the candidate has the necessary skills to assume the role of a Field Research Associate.
All Ag-Quest employees are covered by our General and Professional Liability insurance policies and Saskatchewan WCB during assigned work. This is an opportunity for career change, growth, and development. At Ag-Quest, we strive to build a strong team across our Research Stations, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and professional development. Ag-Quest offers Research Associates support to achieve their career objectives.
Salary: Competitive salary, dependent on relevant experience and education.
Benefits: Benefit package is available.
Candidates should outline their work experience, research qualifications and practical skills in the resume and cover letter and be prepared to provide references. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
Ag-Quest has a COVID-19 vaccination policy in place, the policy can be viewed at https://agquest.com/policy, and compliance with the policy will be a condition of hire. A physical distancing policy will also be in effect.
Start date: February 15, 2023 or as soon as a possible.